PETRONAS Scholarships (Program Penajaan Pendidikan PETRONAS Untuk Lepasan SPM 2016)

About PETRONAS Education Sponsorship Programme (PESP) 2017

Since 1975, PETRONAS has awarded education sponsorships to more than 30,000 deserving students possessing high academic caliber. This was and still is pursued passionately by PETRONAS which continues to display a consistent appetite for innovation and a proven heart for the community.

The PETRONAS Education Sponsorship Programme (PESP) is once again open to Malaysia’s most outstanding students to pursue undergraduate studies in oil and gas related fields. Eligible candidates will be shortlisted and interviewed prior to final selection.

The sponsorships are open for undergraduate programme at Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS (UTP) and overseas universities.

• PESP for UTP Successful candidates are required to complete 1-year Foundation Programme prior to pursuing the Bachelor’s Degree Programme
  • PESP for overseas universities. Successful candidates are required to complete up to 24 months of Pre-University Programme prior to pursuing the Bachelor’s Degree Programme

Closing date: 22 March 2017

http://www.malaysia-students.com/2017/03/petronas-education-sponsorship.html

Petronas Youngstars Day Experience

My Petronas Youngstars Day was held in the Taylor’s Lakeside Campus. But then of course your’s could be in Universiti kebangsaan Malaysia or in Pullman Hotel, Kuching if you are from Sabah or Sarawak depending on how you are separated after your application goes in. You would see many different faces who are all set to give it at a go at a chance to obtain a scholarship from Petronas to either study locally or in another country.

The day would begin would begin with registration. A very detail process where all your certificates and application related documents will be checked thoroughly. Students would the be divided into various groups (by various I mean any random freaking group). A briefing would then be given by the head of the scholarship selection team regarding the years agenda, how the scholars are selected and about how a job with Petronas upon graduation is not guaranteed. So here’s how your day is going to be. The selection process is divided into two sessions. The group case study and the IQ test. One session will be carried out before lunch and the other one after. This depends on how you are divided on that day.

*First tip of the day -SMILE AND MAKE AS MANY FRIENDS AS POSSIBLE…AND ALWAYS STAY COOL

The Test

Three tests
I. Maths & Science Test (MST) 30 Questions/60 minutes
II. Critical Reasoning Test - Verbal (CRT-V) 60 questions/30 minutes
III. Critical Reasoning Test - Diagrammatic (CRT-D) 40 questions/20 minutes

It’s going to pretty difficult (well that’s how I found it to be) if you have forgotten your SPM basics.
I guess you could practice these tests online (except the maths and science test) by just hitting the key words on Google.
*TIME IS A VERY IMPORTANT FACTOR

You will definitely have to rush as these questions will be kinda stressful and time consuming. The Verbal Test would just have some high level English questions where you would be required to look for answers really fast from passages(long ones). And by that I mean TRUE or FALSE questions. Not that difficult really.
The Diagrammatic Test is gonna be…wow. It’ll range from guessing the patterns to thinking logically and reasoning to determine the order of shapes and stuff like that. Just Google it.

Be sure to have a good lunch because whatever comes next definitely requires you to be not hungry.

The Interview

You will be put in a room (with your team of course) and a case study will be given. You will have a specific role to play. Probably against or either to support the case. Examples of topics that have come up include Cyber Crime, Student Exchange Program and Role of parents in their child’s life. All you have to do is to stay calm, come up with points and try your very best to sound as rational as possible during your arguments. Showcase your team player ability and don’t try to steal the show as this will be VERY OBVIOUS.

For the individual interview…hmm…you won’t even break a sweat. I was asked to tell about myself and about my family. Tell them why I deserved this scholarship. A little bit about my participation in sports and other activities. Nothing to worry about. Staying calm and confident with a big bright smile will surely help.

So that’s about it I guess. And just so you know (from what I know and saw), the interviewers are mostly lecturers and faculty heads from Universiti Teknologi Petronas (UTP). The facilitators are all overseas scholars under the petronas scholarship who are currently doing their preparatory program here. So don’t worry. They don’t bite.

1 Like

I’ll be going to this year’s Petronas Youngstars Day. Could I have some questions answered, if you don’t mind?

1. My first choice is actuarial science. So do I still have to do the physics and chemistry or just the math?

2. Regarding the formal attire, is a polo T and slacks gonna work?

On your question 2, polo T is definitely NOT acceptable if the attire is stated formal. Polo T is considered smart casual. Always dress in full formal (including suit) for scholarship interview.

Does that mean we have to do our SPM revision once again?

Hi @KhooKarHoo, based on the experience shared, I believe it would be beneficial to do some revision or at least try to do some online test to prepare yourself for the tests.

It’s going to pretty difficult (well that’s how I found it to be) if you have forgotten your SPM basics.
I guess you could practice these tests online (except the maths and science test) by just hitting the key words on Google.

When will they announce the application results?

@Fatehah, are you referring to when will Petronas announcing those who are shortlisted for the test day (also known as Petronas Youngstars Day)? If yes, then the answer is end of this month (March 2016), most likely next two weeks.

Anyway here is the timeline for your reference:

Process & Schedule

3 March 2016: Online Application System opens
10 March 2016: Online Application System closes at 5PM
March 2016: Announcement & Invitation for PETRONAS YoungStars’ Day (PYD)
April 2016: PETRONAS YoungStars’ Day (PYD)
April 2016: Announcement of Sponsorship Awards
May 2016: Acceptance/rejection of Sponsorship Awards

Source: PETRONAS Education Sponsorship Programme (PESP) for SPM 2015 Students with Minimum 4A+, 5A-

I want to know if the first session-group case study is about a group presentation or an argument-like discussion?

It is not a group presentation, in other words, you do not use powerpoint, whiteboard, mahjong paper or anything like that. It is a group discussion as in everyone will voice their opinions on a given topic. It should be a discussion for example you might say “yes, I agree with you. On top of that, I think that…”.

In order to stand out, be proactive and confident when you voice your opinion. Try to be engaging when others are speaking like nodding your head, smile etc.

@KhooKarHoo, are you going to the interview soon? If yes, would you mind to share with us your interview experience once you have completed it? Thanks.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I am going to the interview and I will definitely share my experience after the event.

1 Like

Hey I am one of the student who will going for the Youngstar day this year at taylor lakeside campus. Do I have to prepare the UTP admission Application form for my utp foundation ?my first selection on the online application was utp foundation and if the form is needed, I have no idea where to get it. T.T

Hi @angjiashun13 congrats for being invited to the PETRONAS YoungStars’ Day (PYD). Would you mind to share your experience here after you attend it? Thanks in advance.

You don’t need to bring the application form as they already have all your details that you keyed in during the online application. Just double check if the invitation of PYD mentions what are the stuffs you need to bring. In case you really need the form, you can actually contact 03 - 2331 2229, from 9am to 5pm for clarification to ease your anxiety.

All the best and good luck!

1 Like

Thanks @Kai. I will definately be sharing my experience with the rest here .:smile:Btw I am quite worried for the test :frowning: haha

Hi! i am going to Petronas YoungStars Day this Sunday. they asked for uniform body certificate and i didnt represented the school in any uniform body competitions. So should i just ignore them or try to ask one at school that is going to say that i am a member of the uniform body at least. Thank you. :blush:

1 Like

Can you please copy paste the details in the invitation? Perhaps we can have a look and give advice based on that.

they also asked for certificates that only mentioned in the form. Should I just hand in other certificates too?

Hi, in your application form did you mention any uniform body? If yes then you will need to bring the certificate as a proof of your participation as you claim during your application.

On your question if you need to bring other certificates, my advice is no need to bring because the staffs will only check the required documents as listed in the documents checklist. If you bring other unnecessary documents (especially if unorganized and mixed up with other compulsory documents) you will cause a lot of troubles (waste a lot of time) to the staffs examining the documents.

The reason why they provide an official documents checklist is because these are the documents they want to check / see, nothing else. If you think bringing extra documents will be more impressive, I don’t think so. Instead, I think you will be seen as someone can’t understand or follow simple instruction. Just my two cents.

Based on the screenshot of document checklist shared by @juliaizzaty it does seem like you need to bring your UTP Admission Application Form. Did you submit your application online? If yes I suspect you should be able to login to the online system to download the UTP Admission Application Form. Try and let us know @angjiashun13

1 Like

Thank you very much for all of the info :smile: do pray for us to do our best. May Allah ease everything.