What is a dissertation? Is it like a thesis?

While thesis is usually reserved for undergraduate and graduate levels, doctoral candidates often must complete a dissertation in order to earn their degrees. A dissertation is the most rigorous type of academic research. While a thesis or capstone relies on the application of existing research, a dissertation requires highly focused and original research and application. For example, a student seeking a doctoral degree in educational leadership might conduct an action-based study, examining an existing practice to identify potential areas for change, and then testing a proposed solution to those issues. However, the most important point is that rather than reinterpreting or applying existing research and theories, a dissertation is a new addition to the canon of research on the topic.

Because dissertations are expected to represent the pinnacle of academic excellence, they generally take several years to complete (as opposed to the one to three semesters needed for a capstone or thesis) and there is a high level of guidance at every step. In most cases, dissertations are reviewed and approved by committees, who are involved with the projects at every point. However, in addition to earning a doctoral degree because of the project, most students are able to publish their research, adding an additional credential to their CV.

Completing a final project is an important part of concluding any type of academic program. Look into your program’s requirements well in advance, so you’re prepared with a proposed topic and plan when it comes time to complete your research project. You might even find that your final project to be among the highlights of your academic career.

It was a real disaster for me to deal with my dissertation. Luckily, good English essays guys helped me to deal with it. They proofread it for several times.