STPM or A-level?

Hah thanks! Yes you’re right!yeap I’m planning to take bio… Are you a bio student or physics student? Hahaha thanks :blush: And nice knowin ya!

Nice knowing you too haha :laughing:. It feels good to know someone in the same situation! Like to know I’m not alone haha. I’m taking physics :smiley: I did consider bio but since I have interest in chemical engineering, I decided to take physics :blush:

I felt the exact same way like finally someone who knows my dilemma :joy: Ohh okok good luck in form 6 ok!!!

1 Like

My suggestion is to go for STPM , after you finish your STPM , you can enter local uni ( low cost )
But , if you have chosen A-level , you also can apply for uni in overseas ( high cost ) , but if you really want to enter local uni , then A-level will be a wrong choice for you . Ya , you are right as you said that things will change and your interest now maybe also be changed . But the most vital things is you have to choose whether you aim for local uni or overseas uni , because A-level is not so accepted by local uni , if you take A-level and you are not able to afford the fees of private or overseas uni/colleges for degree level , and you wish to enter local uni , then you will in hot soup …

Oh ok thanks for your advice!!!

Welcome , all the best !

Hi there! I have a question that keep on making myself a bit worry sometimes…well, I want to ask that if I taking STPM but not A-level, can I study oversea uni ? Cuz I know tht if we study STPM, we can further our study to local uni n then if A-level, we can study oversea but local uni is a bit hard to enter … thx btw, n nice to meet u guys =)

Hi! Overseas should be alright since stpm is worldly recognise… About the local uni thing, I was told by my form 6 teachers that stpm students with good results are given priority To enter public university compare to other pre u programs… I don’t know how true is the fact but that was what I was told by my penolong kanan ting. 6.

Hi Fatin5878,

In terms of options, those who go for STPM would have a wider option after your high school graduation. I was an STPM graduate in 2008.

After that, I studied in local university in UniMAP (Universiti Malaysia Perlis) for a year (between July 2009 - May 2010) as a backup while doing my research for scholarships/financial aids from a college/universities would suit me better. In 2010, I successfully enrolled into a liberal arts college in the United States - St. John’s College, Santa Fe, New Mexico with 100% of my fees covered by a need-based financial aid package (grant, loan, and work-study) I got from the college itself. I had used my STPM results to apply for many different colleges/universities in the USA. (Just so you know, most of the US colleges/universities do not require you to have STPM/A-Levels. You can even get admitted to many top universities over here with SPM, TOEFL, and SAT. But, with an STPM certificate, you would have options to apply to universities in countries like the UK, Australia, and European countries.)

Despite my tough experience in STPM, I have never regretted my decision of studying it. It has helped me a lot in making me a more mature individual. It also has given me a lot of courage to undertake any academic courses due to its high level of challenge.
(And you can read my experience here at the link here:
http://malaysianstudent.com/how-i-improve-my-cgpa-from-1-33-to-3-25-within-5-months/)

Good luck everyone here (Fatin5878 , jessie.khoo , @HanMing_98 , TGH , and @Jessica ) who are going through one of the most important transitions of your life!

And don’t forget to enjoy your student life :slight_smile:

1 Like

Economic-wise, STPM is way to go. Not only as being the advantage as one of the region’s highly credible pre-university exam, you can pretty much go anywhere. Some colleges in UK, and Australia also accepts STPM credits.