Does GPA matter?

To summarize, before I extend:

-GPA is a useful metric of your academic/intellectual performance in college, but not of your long-term potential
-GPA is used to determine who gets interviews/consideration in many hiring situations and in all grad school apps
-A 3.68 and a 3.72 aren’t actually any different from anyone’s perspective
-A 3.0 is necessary for grad study, except when it’s not

However, there are issues:

-Obsession with GPA is a path to misery. I see this all of the time. I’m not saying don’t strive for good grades, I’m saying don’t worry about the number so much.
-Grades reflect your ability to master explaining, applying, and extending/synthesizing what you have learned, along with sustained effort and creativity. The reason recruiters/hiring managers/grad admissions committees like GPAs is that these are precisely the things that count. If you are naturally brilliant at X and can take a senior-level Introduction to X in Theory and Practice course, not study, and get an A, this tells me nothing about your ability to work when you hit a challenge, and I’m not hiring you to do upper-level undergrad coursework; I’m hiring you to create, innovate, extend, lead… nothing that an exam can measure. That’s why grades composite all of these things. I also know that you will hit a challenge, and I want to know how you work when natural intelligence isn’t enough.

To a certain extend yes. But that is not what education is all about.

Simple breakdown

GPA is important if you want
to be hired
get office jobs,
work in university,
be given acclaim,
become a researcher,
become an educator
be easily trusted to do work

but its not everything, if you have the certificates to prove you are skilled (engineering)
or have been qualified by examinations (MUET and another one done by British Council)

or have an impressive CV and actually be able to do the things you put it in.