My National Service experience

I remembered the day when the NS results came out. I was in the school hall with all my other fellow Form 5 schoolmates, sitting and discussing intensely. When I found out that I was selected, I had mixed feelings. I was scared, because at that time, I thought it was going to be like all day military training – all the running and push up punishments, marching in the rain. I was also feeling excited because, hey, it was going to be a new experience for me! I was sad, because it was during the holidays, and I had to stay away from my family for 3 months (first time staying away for that long). I was also happy knowing that some of my friends are placed in the same camp.

It was going to be excitiing. :slight_smile:

I was assigned to go for NS luckily in a place just within my state – so that was alright for me, not being so far away from family – and I was in the first batch of the year 2009.

It was totally different from what I expected. Well, there were running and push up punishment, but there were also character build up classes, sport activities, marching competition, visiting activities, and many other interesting activities. We were fed 6 times day, going to bed and getting up early, evevyday - each individual was given the chance to at least once to go night patrolling.

It was really exciting indeed!

Thank you for sharing your PLKN experience. I was not selected and I always wonder what is the experience. I see friends like you that reluctantly went to PLKN but came back with new bunch of friends all around Malaysia. They said the friendships formed during the three months are very strong because they endured hardship and enjoyed fun together. Sometimes they have gathering and reunion trips as well. Really envy them. You’re so luckly.

By the way, aside from friendship, what did you gain in terms of practical skills and experience? What did you learn from PLKN?

@pamdayne91 Thank you for sharing your experiences here! :smile:
I am an SPM 2014 leaver and yes! I am selected for National Service too! Too bad, I didn’t get the first batch of NS. Furthermore, National Service for this year was suspended. I will only go for NS next year, which I don’t think I will be able to make it.

The most exciting was meeting and making new friends during the whole stay in the camp. New characters, new wits, new interesting types of personalities. The bonding between different types of people coming from different types of places. There were times where there are a group of people despising other groups in the beginning of the camp, that became best of friends towards the end of the of the whole event. Everyone cried night before the day everyone goes back to where they came from.

It was very memorable. :smile:

Yep, that is very true – the bondings are very strong just because of this 3 months camp. :smile:

Gaining friendship was one of the biggest learning experience I got from NS. I learned how to approach and become friends with different types people with different characters, personalities, wits, weaknesses, and much more. I learn to live and work with the people I had never seen before or deal with before. Later on, I learn how to lead all this different people – be it girls or boys. Responsibilities are important – no matter how small the task could be. Responsibilities were everywhere: how you treat your bed, how you treat your laundry, how you treat your slippers, how you treat how you look, how you treat the whole place. It’s every where. There are so many things learn. To me, this training teaches us how to be independent and responsible, clean and neat at the same time, and have better social skills. :blush:

You get to see many kind of events. Like how the most naughtiest and irresponsible kid of the whole place, becoming the best person than anyone was in the camp. Or a fragile looking girl have the highest score in shooting-a-target accuracy.

If there would be a chance that the country allows anyone to register for NS, you should go for it. :slight_smile: It’s an unforgettable experience.

Well, I thank you for taking the time to read my experience! :smile:

Oh? Why are you not able to make it? It’s an experience that you probably everyone should never miss!
It’s such a disappointment that they stopped NS for a year. :\

What batch are you in?

I am either in second or third batch. Furthermore, the government had suspended National Service for this year. I will only be able to join NS next year which I don’t think I will be able to make it since I will be studying at that time. :frowning:

Mm hmm. Indeed, they did suspended the NS this year. It is such a disappointment. So for the time being, what are you going to be doing this year? Are you going to be begin your studies this year?

Also, if you had the chance to continue National Service, would you make time and go for it?

For the time being, I am learning how to drive while waiting for the results. I am not really sure whether to do Form 6, A Level or matriculation ( if I get the offer). Let my result decide :wink: If I have the chance to continue National Service, I don’t think I would make time and go for it even though it is really fun and exciting. I guess that I will be very busy with studies next year and I don’t think I will be able to catch-up with studies if I continue National Service.