What’s next after SPM? Discuss pros and cons of each pre-university programmes here!
First of all I will compile a list of the various pathways a Malaysian student can take after SPM.
- STPM, what we call Form 6.
- Malaysian Matriculation ( Matrikulasi)
- Asasi IPTA
- Private colleges and universities, which include
(iii) A Levels
(iv) AUSMAT, Australian Matriculation
(v) ADTP, American Degree Transfer Program
(vi) Canadian Matriculation
(vii) MUFY, Monash University Foundation year
… and many more.
Let us look at this from this point of view first - are the qualifications accepted? Where?
- For STPM, it is accepted worldwide and is of the same qualification as the popular Cambridge A Levels.
- For Malaysian Matriculation, it is only accepted in Malaysian Universities and selected colleges or schools outside the country.
- For Asasi IPTA, it is only accepted by that IPTA. Transfers to other IPTA are usually not accepted.
- For Private institutes, the qualification varies. More information can be found by surfing the net, preferably on the specific institute of choice. I can give a short overview though.
- A Levels. Accepted EVERYWHERE.
- Diploma. Selected Diploma are accepted by selected instituted to continue your studies. You have to be very, very careful.
- Foundation. Similar to Diploma, it can be very specific. Take care to get more information beforehand.
Student closed #5