Can a Malaysian get into the Ivy League?

I’ll answer this question on the basis of my experience about applying to ‘Top Schools’ and development of personality.

To start with, let me first make this clear that getting 2400/2400 on SAT, 36/36 on ACT, being president of many clubs don’t guarantee you admission to Ivy League or other Top Schools out there. What does, is how you consider yourself.

I would suggest that first take standardize tests. Don’t just take those when you are in the last year of your high school, that is not a good idea. Go for it. Take the trial test first to know where you stand. Take it 2-3-4 times.
Most universities will consider your super score regardless of the number of times you try. There is always improving chance.

Secondly, join clubs. Go for debating, MUN, TEDx or any other leadership program in your school. If you can, try for establishing one(club) in your school. Don’t just stick to academics. Don’t let your grades go down. Remember, grades matter the most. If you can’t go for any international level competition, go for what is available to you.

It’s not always about wailing over things you can’t have, it’s always about making the most out of what you have. So the make the most out of it.

That being said, once you are in your Senior Year go for the most rigorous course. It would justify your abilities. Choose the one which has linkage with the major you are applying to. If it is engineering, I would recommend AP Calculus, AP Physics etc. or something of that sort. Remember, go for the toughest course available to you.

When you are finally prepared, jot down the list of schools you want to apply to. It should not only comprise of schools like MIT, Harvard, Yale etc… With an acceptance rate of mere 4%, no one has a good chance.

Last year, I exchanged few words with MIT admissions administrator, he said that when applying to schools make a list that contains 3-4 Grabbing School, 2 Average Schools, and 3-4 Dream Schools.

Grabbing School means those schools which are in your hand. Average means, the schools you are not sure about. Dream means the top schools. You don’t wanna waste a whole year over this, in case you don’t get into top schools. Always have a backup plan.

Lastly, apply. And be sure because ‘Attitude’ matters. Just be sure of yourself. I know you can make it.

Good Luck.