'Fresh' in College; DIP Hotel Management

I’m new here and this is probably my first topic.

Well, actually I’m about to change into a new environment, from small town kind of village high school to big city college.

I’m a Chinese that already get used to Malay kind of environment so my Chinese and English will be like ummmm terrible?

And I do have a lot of concern that, I will not get used to new environment, not the friendly type to make friends easily{no confidence coz of my appearance uhhhh?} and my bad English :cry:

Not from a rich family background so take up the scholarship to study in private U. to maintain 3.0 for every semester is another concern. Really do scaressss about everything in college.

Thinking what if I actually not interested in the course without trying hard so on.

someone who actually think of the negative first.

Need some advice about the course coz I seem to be someone not well prepared and a very slow blur, kind of slow to catch up for this course.

ps: sorry for my terrible English

Hi @peiyu98, don’t worry about adapting your college life in city. I know the new environment / the new people you meet could be quite intimidating at first since you have spent so many years in a small town / village. But you will do fine, I believe in you. :clap:

The first step to adjust yourself is to stop feeling small that you come from a humble family background or village/town. The fact that you get scholarship means that you are better than others in terms of academic which you should be proud about :stuck_out_tongue:

Look forward to your internship, you will get the opportunity to work across different departments like F&B, front desk etc

One important thing you should do while studying your Diploma in Hotel Management is to brush up your English. English will be more important later when you look for job or for career progression aka “promotion” etc.

I too was not good in English during your age. I tried the following methods and have improved my English tremendously.

10 Simple Ways to Improve Your English

1 Like

Thanks for the advice ! its been week 4 studying dip hotel management and it’s quite fun and interesting just a little too stress about a lots of stuff. Everyday trying to improve my flaws to get ready in hospitality industry like grooming, communication, English, and others. As people always judge that this course is useless, u just clean the room and wash toilet bowl only but they don’t even know that we learn a lot of things ! Basically like every department in a hotel. So far, get the chance to work in a 5 star hotel twice to serve people when its only the second week! Really tired and learn that actually we cannot judge people by their job. And i do have a concern which i have hyperhidrosis(sweat too much all of a sudden without reason at palm and feet) where when i need to serve people with 3 plates at once, paperwork, shake hands, cleaning the cutleries and so on. Just too much things to stress about and with a negative mindset :sweat_smile:

hope i can struggle through the hardships to achieve my dreams ! :grin:

1 Like

Wow, busy weeks you had! Glad that you have exposure to real job so early in your course.

Regarding the palm sweating, I have that as well but until today don’t know what to do with it. I’m always concerned about this when I am about to shake someone’s hand or someone wants to shake mine…

All the best and take good care of yourself, drink water and take enough rest everyday :wink:

yeah. Mine is totally like i just wash my hands ! same goes to u.:slight_smile:
do u mind sharing with me about what you are currently studying/working? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I finished my studies long time ago. Currently unemployed :stuck_out_tongue: