SAT, how do I apply for it if I took SPM already during Form 5?

Hello there first of all thanks for clicking on my question, bless you and yeah if you have a cat bless your cat too. I’m almost 18,from a public school in Kedah, just gotten my SPM results on 3rd Mac 2016, I got 3A+(English,History,Moral) , 4A(Math Chemistry Account Bahasa Melayu) , 1A- (Bio) , 1B+ (Physics ) and 1B (Addmath). I’m interested in Bachelor’s in Communication Arts in Chulalongkorn University in Thailand. Sadly they dont accept SPM IELTS nor TOEFL. They require SAT scores. So here are my questions, how old should I be to take SAT? Do i need to take PreU before I can take SAT? Is it extremely difficult? Is it different from KBAT in SPM? How much does SAT test cost? Thank you

Hi @Viper98, well done for such impressive SPM result!

I’m sure you can take SAT because I previously knew people who took SAT even before they sat for SPM as they were planning to study in USA using the SAT result. Since you have already finished your SPM you are definitely eligible to take SAT.

On your second question, you don’t have to take Pre-U course in order to sit for SAT, again because of the real examples above (people sat for SAT even before sitting for real SPM exam).

Try to read this post on SAT de-solved, it should be useful for you to understand more about SAT.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the info.

Actually, for information like requirements, fees, sample tests etc you should refer directly to the CollegeBoard as they are the official administrator for the SAT test.

Malaysia SAT Test Fees

SAT: USD $43 + USD $53
SAT with Essay: USD $54.50 + USD $53
If you only need to sit for one subject, it might be cheaper to just register for a particular subject. Please refer here.

Malaysia SAT Test Centers

Please refer to this post.

Malaysia SAT Test Dates

Upcoming SAT test in Malaysia are:
May 7, 2016 (Need to register by April 8, 2016)
or
June 4, 2016 (Need to register by May 5, 2016 for mailed registrations or May 11, 2016 for registrations made online or by phone)
This is the page: https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sat-subject-tests/register/international-registration/test-dates-deadlines

Free Personalized SAT Practices

Khan Academy

Good luck @Viper98!

Hello @Viper98 . For your first question, there is no specific minimum age for SAT candidates. You don’t have to take preU before SAT. However, I suggest you be very prepared before taking the SAT. It is not easy, to be honest. The new revised SAT format, from what I know is a lot more difficult than the previous SAT. There are 3 main sections in the revised SAT: Maths, writing and language and reading. The essay part is optional. SAT’s KBAT is a higher level than SPM’s. The SAT cost hundreds, I paid about RM400+ for mine, not sure about the latest price.

My advice, you’d have to polish up on your English language skills, even if you are already quite adept in the language, especially Grammar. They will test you on Grammar, although it won’t be as direct or simple. It would also be useful if you read up on big words and their meanings.And, do not wait too long to register or you might not have a spot left in your SAT test centre for you.

Basically, do lots and lots of practice. Do not study at the last-minute, like a month before your test. Get SAT revision books and read their tips and strategies and do the exercises and mock papers. I suggest getting books from College Board and Princeton Review. And be sure that you buy SAT revision books for the new, revised SAT, which commences from March 2016.

To register and know more about about the SAT,go to collegeboard.org

I hope I’ve helped in some way. Good luck! :blush:

3 Likes

Thank you for the info it’s very helpful. May I ask where did you take your SAT in malaysia?

@Viper98 I had my SAT at Taylor’s, Subang Jaya. You can choose your test centre when you register for the SAT.

1 Like

@misha3181032 are you sure you took your SAT at Taylor’s and not INTI? Because Taylor’s is not listed as one of the official test centers according to the collegeboard website.

BATU LINTANG TEACHER TRAINING COLL
Address: Jalan College, Kuching Sarawak, Malaysia
Center Code: 68189

DALAT INTL SCH
Address: 11200 Tanjung Bungah, Penang, Malaysia
Center Code: 68205

INTI INTERNATIONAL COLLEGE SUBANG
Address: 3 Jalan Ss15/8, Subang Jaya, Malaysia
Center Code: 68175

KDU COLL
Address: 32 Anson Road, Penang, Malaysia
Center Code: 68201

RAFFLES AMERICAN SCHOOL
Address: Lot No.1 Anjung Center, Nusajaya, Malaysia
Center Code: 68196

1 Like

Oh yes. My mistake, sorry. :sweat_smile: It was at INTI, not Taylor’s. Those 2 unis were next to each other… got confused

Hello.So,does it mean that I have to study in Inti college to sit for Sat and Act tests or can i just take online courses and take those tests in Inti college??Thank you!

No, you don’t have to study in INTI college. You just need to take the test at a test center during the test day and INTI is one of the test centers in Malaysia. You can study by yourself. In fact, INTI does not offer any SAT course.

From Facebook:

INTI International University & Colleges: Hi John, INTI does not offer SAT but you can check out for more information about the examination at the IDP center in Subang Jaya or go to http://sat.collegeboard.org/home for more information.