Should I enter science stream or art for STPM to study actuarial science in IPTA?

Should I enter science stream or art for STPM to study actuarial science in IPTA?

Definitely you need to take Science stream for STPM in order to apply bachelor of actuarial science degree course at Universiti Awam (UM) Malaysia.

I take one example from University of Malaya (UM), but the rest of IPTA offering this course should have similar requirements on the subjects.

UM Sarjana Muda Sains Aktuari Entry Requirements

Lulus STPM dengan mendapat sekurang-kurangnya PNGK 3.50

dan

Mendapat sekurang-kurangnya Gred A- (NGMP 3.67) pada peringkat STPM dalam mata pelajaran berikut:
Matematik T

dan

Mendapat sekurang-kurangya Gred B+ (NGMP 3.33) pada peringkat STPM dalam satu (1) daripada mata pelajaran berikut:

• Biologi
  • Fizik
  • Kimia
  • Matematik T

dan

Mendapat sekurang-kurangnya Tahap 2 (Band 2) dalam MUET

Is it easy to get this course through matriks and stpm?

Actuarial science (sains aktuari) is a highly competitive course at IPTA as places are very limited yet demand is high.

In other words, you need to score close to perfect score CGPA 4.0 in order to get admitted into this course. As we all know, STPM is more difficult to score CGPA 4.0 compared to Matrikulasi based on the number of CGPA 4.0 scorers every year from STPM (very few) and Matrikulasi (a lot).

So, you stand a better chance to score CGPA 4.0 in Matrikulasi and hence can admit to this course at IPTA. Just a sidenote, you will see that those who got this course at IPTA are mostly Matrikulasi students compared to very few STPM students.