I’m sorry for bumping this post but I’m stuck in this dilemma again. I’ve been doing some research and right now, I have a few options I can consider:
a) UM’s Special Prepatory Programme to enter Japanese Universities
- Course is most probably taught in English (along with Japanese learning)
- I’m familiar with Japanese culture so there wouldn’t be much culture shock
- Entry requirements are high (all As for SPM… Wow…)
- Not guaranteed if can pursue biomedical sciences or medicine under this programme
b) UM’s Science Foundation (PASUM)
- UM has a good reputation (usually known as the best university in Malaysia)
- Cheap since it’s a public university
- Courses are most probably taught in BM (not really sure. can someone verify this?)
- Progress would stagger (because I’m not used to learning science stuff in BM)
- I might stand out for being different. I don’t wear headscarves and I’m really quiet.
c) International Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM)
- English environment, including courses and spoken language
- Full of foreign students
- Cheap, because public uni
- I don’t think I can keep up with an Islamic environment
- Again, I might stand out. This is a huge problem for me because I am very self-conscious
d) A-Levels or Foundation at Private Universities
- English environment
- Might have a community of like-minded people
- Usually better facilities
- Really, really, expensive. I’m hoping to save this as a last resort.
- Not sure if degree is accepted by the Malaysian government. It’s a rule of thumb to be on the look-out for bogus or uncertified degrees.
e) Foreign Universities (with scholarship)
- Exposure to the outside world
- Most of the time in English
- Some places are highly regarded, such as the UK or Australia
- Expensive. It will really hurt one’s wallet.
- Scholarships for this kind of path usually have high requirements (in merit and interviews)
- Unsure if degree is accepted by the Malaysian government. For example, a Dutch medical degree is only recognisable in the EU
If anyone could help me, I would really appreciate it. I’m just looking for cheap, affordable, and certified ways to further my studies in English and in a comfortable environment. Again, I would like to study medicine or anything related to it such as biomedical sciences.