University of Nottingham Malaysia VS University of Southampton Malaysia?

Which is better for Mechanical engineering? University of Nottingham Malaysia Campus (UNMC) OR University of Southampton Malaysia Campus (USMC)?

I would like to declare that I am speaking on behalf of MECHANICAL ENGINEERING, and not other engineering courses.

First of all, USMC has a great reputation for engineering courses, especially Electrical & Electronic, and Mechanical engineering, but the duration of study has to be twinning. You’ll be studying two years local, followed by two years abroad. Of course this would be pricier. USMC is fairly new and has a small campus. From what I heard from an alumni, USMC has great lecturers there to guide you, making sure you won’t be left out during lectures. Also, studying mechanical engineering in University of Southampton in UK gives you a chance to use a wind tunnel, which is hardly possible in universities such as NTU, NUS, or HKU.

UNMC has been established in Malaysia for quite a while, and has a great reputation too in all sorts of engineering. It has a great environment, great big campus, and great facilities that USMC might not have. However, graduates from UNMC claimed that although the engineering labs are full of equipment, but throughout your 3/4 years of studies, you’ll only use one or two equipment. To put it into simpler words, most of the equipment are ‘for show’. I’ve also heard that the lecturers there are very experienced at researching, but are not good at teaching or being a lecturer. As in they have the knowledge, but don’t know how to deliver them to the students. You can look it up their website for the research papers they have submitted.

So after speaking to graduates of MECHANICAL ENGINEERING from both universities, I would say, USMC would be a better choice if you’re up for degree or masters, and UNMC would be great for postgraduates courses since it has a large campus and more facilities. I hope this information is useful to you. Thank you for your time.