What is equivalent to a US high school diploma in Malaysia?

Hey there, thank you for clicking on my post, bless you and I hope you will have a beautiful head of hair on your head for the rest of your mortal life.

My question is what is equivalent to a US high school diploma in Malaysia? There’ s a University in thailand Im interested in that only requires education till US grade 10 which is equivalent to Form 5 and a copy of your high school diploma. Is our Sijil Berhenti Sekolah equivalent to their high school diploma? Ive been reading around the net and the debate is still going on. Please reply thank you

Hi @Viper98, I don’t think this is something that people debate on as to me it is very clear that US high school diploma is equivalent to pre-university programmes in Malaysia such as STPM, A Levels, Matriculation, Diploma, IB, SAM etc.

Just citing from one source you will know why this is very clear. This article from Wikipedia shows the alternatives to US high school diploma which means they are all equivalent.

High school diploma

2 Alternatives
2.1 General Education Development (GED)
2.2 IB Diploma Programme
2.3 British qualifications
2.3.1 International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE)
2.3.2 Cambridge Advanced International Certificate of Education (AICE) Diploma
2.3.3 Edexcel International Diploma (ID)
2.4 French qualifications
2.4.1 Baccalauréat (Bac)
2.4.2 Baccalauréat Franco Américain (BFA)

Also, from another wikipedia article:

Secondary education in the United States

Graduation from high school leads to the awarding of the high school diploma. After this secondary education is considered complete and students may pursue tertiary level study.

In other words, after US students graduated high school and awarded with high school diploma, their next level of further study is tertiary (which they will be awarded university degree upon completion).

US high school diploma is not equivalent to SPM. After SPM, students still need to attend one of the pre-university programmes in order to apply for tertiary university degree courses.

Thank you for your information it was extremely helpful to clear up the misunderstanding.