And… Do A-level students have to take Malaysian studies and IELTS? What are these for?

There are three different English tests available in Malaysia: MUET, IELTS & TOEFL

Malaysian University English Test (MUET)

MUET (Malaysian University English Test) is compulsory for admission into degree courses in local public universities (IPTA).

International English Language Testing System (IELTS) & Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)

IELTS (International English Language Testing System) & TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) are for admission into degree courses in overseas universities like in US, UK, Canada, Australia etc. You need to score a certain band (result) in order to meet the minimum requirements of the universities.

1 Like

So to your question, A-Level students can take either one of these English tests in order to apply for local or overseas undergraduate programmes.

Since most of the A-Level students plan to further study overseas, they will end up taking either IELTS or TOEFL instead of MUET. Also, as IELTS and TOEFL tests are held throughout the year, you can take it whenever you are ready, as long as you get your test result before you apply for admission into degree programme then it’s totally fine.

Also, you can take as many times as you want (as long as you can afford the test fees) and use the best result to apply for your overseas university. Of course, you need to pay for the test fees.

1 Like

Regarding the Malaysian studies, I believe it is just one of those compulsory subjects in class since you are in Malaysia.

Like STPM there is one subject called Pengajian Am. So I believe the Malaysian studies is the equivalent of Pengajian Am for A-Level.

1 Like

@Ong Thank you! :smile: How about twinning programme? If I want to go for a twinning programme, what should I take? MUET, IELTS or TOEFL?

Not sure about the requirements for twinning programme. MUET is only for admission into IPTA so definitely not MUET.

Since only private universities or private colleges in Malaysia offer twinning programme with overseas universities, I believe it is either IELTS or TOEFL.

You don’t have to worry about this, once you enrol into a specific pre-u programme (like A-level) then you will know which English test to take.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Is MPU compulsory

Just sharing some ideas. Those 3 English tests have specific direction on their target audience. Students aspiring to go to the UK will most likely take IELTS, US-bound students will usually take TOEFL. MUET is usually for students aspiring to go to a local public university. As for second question, Malaysian studies is considered compulsory, but you might have to check with your institutions. The tests are to determine your English proficiency which is very important.